12.07.2009

Shake the Tree

I taught a theory class to a bunch of hair dressers on Monday. It isn’t a class people take because it’s fun or exciting. Sometimes, they take it because it’s available and convenient. Sometimes they take it because their managers think they need it. Sometimes they take it because they didn’t read the description and thought it was a hands on color or techniques class. Some of the trainers on the team don’t like to teach it either. It isn’t creative enough or hands on enough. And, the evaluations we get from our attendees tend to be a bit lower for the color theory class and no one wants that.

I didn’t want to teach it either until I taught it for the first time. But theory and the basics are not only necessary but essential to becoming a colorist of any quality. Hairdressers are typically creative and right brained. Sitting too much, writing too much, lectures and note taking are typically not the way they learn best. However, it’s extremely difficult to turn a theory class into a hands on experience. I did, however, find ways to use mannequins and play with the color we discuss. We did a cross word puzzle and broke off into teams and did some problem solving exercises related to the theory we learned.

At the end of each class we teach, attendees are asked to fill out evaluations which cover how the trainer presented the class. They are asked if their expectations were met; was the information clear, concise, organized, enthusiastic, etc. Did they enjoy it? Would they like to have this trainer again? Did the trainer stay on task? Answer their questions? Know her/his subject matter?

I don’t normally get nervous before a class but the theory class always gives me pause. I know it is a difficult class and has the great potential to be boring. I also know how important it is. In fact, I take this particular class once a year from someone else even though I teach it and have been a hairdresser for 26 years. And I always learn something when I take it and when I teach it. The manager of the location where we hold the classes grades the trainer too. I never worry about those evaluations. I am always an hour early, well prepared, and ready for the task at hand. But the evaluations from the attendees…I need a deep breath before I see those.

I usually have 10 to 20 people in the class. Usually all good comments, with one marginal or average because the class wasn’t what they expected, was too basic, too difficult, too something. This class I had on Monday had 13 attendees, and I got TWO marginal evaluations.

It was like pulling teeth to get these two to participate. They separated themselves from the rest of the group, were obviously bored, one didn’t bother to take notes, stared off into space much of the time. I always try to include everyone as best I can and when I see someone glazing over, I do something, change gears, take a break, etc., to help them along and get them back into the class. These two did not cooperate.

After thinking long and hard on it, I decided that I had done all I could do. If I focus too much on the one or two who don’t want to be there, I stand the chance of losing the ones who are enthusiastic and participating. So after a few tries, I moved on and decided these two were not interested in what I had come to share with them and I needed to focus on those who were hungry for the information I had.

It occurred to me that much of life is that way. Some people do little to help themselves. They do only what they must to get by; they wait for opportunities to come find them; they figure that as long as someone else is doing worse than they are, they are ok. OK is good enough for them. They are not motivated to grow or improve or do anything more than they must to survive. They want and expect others to do and provide for them. And they accomplish very little. Some people show up. They dive in head first, taking chances, trying new things, experimenting, thinking, and growing. They create their own opportunities and recognize them when they present themselves. They get out and shake the tree rather than lie beneath and wait for fruit to fall and hit them in the mouth. They do not expect others to do for them what they can do for themselves. And just getting by is not their definition of success. They require no outside motivation because they burn with desire to become more than they are, to use their talents to better themselves and those around them and leave the world better than they found it.

I don’t want to lie beneath the tree.

No comments:

Post a Comment